Friday 12 August 2011

Sugar Topped Banana Muffins


Well I am a day late in posting this week but am using the excuse that I am a mum to three children under the age of four, one of whom has hit the terrible twos early and the youngest of which is only 7 weeks and thinks day is night and night is day!  I had intended to post this week’s recipe last night but the chaos that ensued after dinner meant this was not to be.  I eventually got my eldest (3 and a half) to bed after she managed to poke herself in the eye with a fairy princess wand. She went on to demand a cold compress (which she currently has a obsession with) but gave the game away as to the severity of her injury by asking me “which eye was it mummy”.
Despite the chaos I had an exciting day yesterday. Although I’ve been in a caught up in a cooking frenzy for the last few weeks, it was a work that caused the excitment!  As I experimented with a new cake recipe (unsuccessfully), I received an email to my work Blackberry (yes I still have it despite being on leave) inviting me to the launch of a book in which I’m a contributor.  I am now awaiting delivery of all three volumes of the precisely titled (and I feel future international best-seller) “The Technical and Legal Guide to Global Hydrocarbons”. 
I have written articles for journals and newspapers, and even given live TV and radio interviews on all sorts of security related issues, but this is the first book I will have appeared in and I am so excited!  My section focuses on the security challenges facing the international energy industry, about as far removed as it it gets from the my current bedside reading  which currently includes such foody titles as “An Omlette and a Glass of Wine” by the doyan of cookery, Elizabeth David.
The book launch will be held during Offshore Europe 2011, a huge oil and gas industry event, at which I will be using my “keeping in touch” days to work to attend.  This means I have to fit back into my work suits after having my baby boy; and amid my ongoing baking fest. Oh dear, only three weeks to go! 
I don’t think these will help with the weight loss much, but these tasty muffins are excellent for lunchboxes and picnics, here is this week’s recipe:

Sugar Topped Banana Muffins
Ingredients
320g Self Raising Flour
1 Teaspoon of Salt
1 Teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
2 Eggs – beaten
100g Golden Caster Sugar
100g Soft Brown Sugar
3 Large Bananas
Zest & Juice of ½ a Lemon
150ml Vegetable OR Sunflower Oil
1 Tablespoon Milk
100g Chocolate Chips (optional)
Granulated Sugar to top the muffins
Method
Preheat your oven to 180 oC  (160 oC fan) & prepare your muffin tins -  I like to use paper cases, but you don’t have to.
In a large bowl, mix together the oil and sugars.
In a separate bowl mash the bananas with 1 tablespoon of milk and the juice and zest of half a lemon.
Add the banana mix to the oil and sugar and beat in the eggs.
Sieve in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon (if using) and the salt  and mix together well. 
Add 6 tablespoons of tepid water
Finally add the chocolate chips if you are using them.
Divide the mix into the muffin tin(s) and dredge the top of the muffins with the granulated sugar
Bake for around 30 minutes (but check from around 20 minutes)
Makes 16 Muffins
NOTE:  You can add 100g of sultanas or other dried fruit if you fancy a change or something healthier than the chocolate.
(MUMMY’S TIP: You can also add a tablespoon or two of bran or oatbran if you have a child with constipation!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner